Saying the Rosary
While meditating on each of the mysteries of the rosary, a series of prayers are said in a specific order
as you pray the rosary. The beads of the rosary provide a roadmap to guide the
recitation of each prayer.
- Holding the cross in your hand, make the Sign of the Cross and say the Apostles' Creed.
- Moving to the single bead above the cross, pray the Our Father.
- The Hail Mary should be said on each of the next three beads, honoring
the divine virtues of faith, hope and love.
- Next, on the single bead following the cluster of three beads, say the Glory Be.
- Once you have reached the medal, recall the first mystery then pray one Our Father.
- This will bring you to the first decade, or set of 10 beads.
Pray 10 Hail Mary's,
one for each bead, recalling the first mystery as you say them.
- Upon reaching the single bead following the decade, say the Glory Be and
then say the following prayer: "O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from
the fires of hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in most need of
- Still on the same single bead, recall the next mystery and pray another Our Father.
- This brings you to the next decade. Repeat steps 6, 7 and 8 until you have completed all five decades in the same manner.
- Once you have completed all five decades, pray Hail, Holy Queen and make the
Sign of the Cross.
Mysteries of the Rosary
The rosary consists of 20 decades, broken into four distinct parts or
mysteries. Each decade highlights various scenes from the life of Jesus and
Mary. The church has outlined which mysteries are to be said on each day of the
week for those who faithfully pray the rosary, however a person can choose to
meditate on any given mystery when they say the rosary.
The Joyful Mysteries - Monday and Saturday
- The Annunciation: The messenger of God announces to Mary that she is to be
the Mother of God
- The Visitation: Mary visits and helps her cousin Elizabeth
- The Birth of Our Lord: Mary gives birth to Jesus in a stable
- The Presentation of Our Lord: Jesus is presented in the Temple 40 days
after his birth
- The Finding of Our Lord in the Temple: At age 12, Jesus was teaching in
The Luminous Mysteries - Thursday
- The Baptism in the Jordan
- The Wedding at Cana
- The Proclamation of the Kingdom
- The Transfiguration
- The Institution of the Eucharist
The Sorrowful Mysteries - Tuesday and Friday
- The Agony of Jesus in the Garden
- The Scourging at the Pillar
- Jesus is Crowned with Thorns
- Jesus Carries the Cross
- The Crucifixion of Our Lord
The Glorious Mysteries - Sunday and Wednesday
- The Resurrection of Jesus
- The Ascension of Jesus to Heaven
- The Decent of the Holy Spirit
- The Assumption of Mary into Heaven
- Mary is Crowned as Queen of Heaven and Earth